Ironman Oz 2008 - Bike Plan

Ride.
Heart Rate: 128-139bpm Flats. 140ish and a bit on Hills.
No Catch Up.
Bring it all inline.

Again keeping things simple is the order of the day. The swim is behind me, good or bad I can't change it now. All I can do is what is required for the ride.

For the most part, the ride should be fairly comfortable, particularly the first 2 of 3 laps. Based on my training or past races I have found that a heart rate around 130 or so is about right. To keep things on track, and prevent myself from going too hard, too early, I will keep checking that I am working in this area. However, my race will not be dictated by fairly arbitrary numbers.


"Athletes will use any excuse other than “I went too hard early” to justify pace slow down mid and late in the race."

- Gordo Bryn


The heart rate ranges are guides only. If working at this rate feels too hard, then I will have to slow down. If I can sustain a descent pace at a lower rate then that is what I will do. If my heart rate sits high later in the race, but my legs, breathing and other indicators of exertion are low, then I may best be served by ignoring the heart rate. This requires having confidence in reading my body. I feel that confident this year.


"Nutritional issues are nearly always pacing issues in disguise!"

- Gordo Bryn

The majority of participants do not put out a 100% perfect bike leg. It is a very long distance and chances are there will be patches when you feel bad, lapses in concentration or something else interrupts your race such as a flat tire. My approach is that while I aim to avoid these altogether, I also accept that they are likely to happen. Therefore when they do, I need to recognise the problem. Flat tires are usually easy, but lapses in concentration can be harder to pick. I will use my 10/15 minute nutrition plan as a reference point to check that things are going as they should.

"Don't Panic."

- Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy


If things go off track at any stage the trick is not to panic. Once the problem is recognised then all I need to is quiet any negative talk and steadily bring everything back in line. At no point on the bike will I ever attempt to make up any lost time. Attempting such an effort is likely to cost very dearly on the run.

All this detail can backfire. The Ironman bike leg should be a simple exercise in efficient cycling. Hours and hours have been spent over the last few months showing the body what it is meant to do. I just have to keep my head in the right space and make sure I keep up the fuel to keep those legs spinning as they should. One word can sum up what I have keep doing...



... RIDE!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive