Refining The Plan

It has now been nearly two months since I decided to get back into triathlon. I now have a good idea of how my body is responding to the training and I still believe my original seven point plan is the way to go. For those that missed out, or need a refresher, click on the following link.



After the last few days of easier training, I've realised it is now time to refine the plan and set down a proper time frame for each section. I will still adhere to the following guidelines:
  1. Develop and maintain a body capable of handling and adapting to the training load
  2. Progressively develop a sound, but not overdone aerobic base
  3. Increase VO2max to as high as possible
  4. Increase velocity achieved at Anaerobic Threshold
  5. Increase ability to sustain Anaerobic Threshold
  6. Develop specific race skills and abilities
  7. Recover appropriately
My approach is not the typical training program seen in Ironman training. It definitely includes more higher intensity work than is usually advised and may appear to be upside down on face value, with the so-called speed work occurring before the longer steady efforts. This is my first attempt at this approach and it may not work, but I do believe in it. I have been thinking about it for a couple of years. Recently I read an article by Greg Mcmillan, that goes a long way to explain the approach I am taking. His article is directed towards marathon running, but the concepts are transferable. I very much liked the concept that speed is not to considered a limiter, and the stress of training leading up to the event will be do to the duration of the session.


Below is a table outlining the plan leading up to the race. It should be read with the following points in mind:
  • Long aerobic sessions will steadily progress in volume through each phase
  • The long sessions will hopefully hit peak volumes of 90min of straight swimming, 7 hours of cycling and 3.5 hours of running by November. If these are not achieved, then they will be achieved in IM Phase 1.
  • All seven guidelines are included in each phase, the difference is the emphasis applied at the time.
  • In November I will aim to achieve a minor peak and race the Shepparton 1/2IM followed by a short regeneration period (the little one will be due here), before starting on the very specific IM training.



"If this elephant of mind is bound on all sides by the cord of mindfulness,

All fear disappears anad complete happiness comes.
All enemies: all tigers, lions, elephants, bears, serpents of our emotions;
And all the keepers of hell; the deomns and the horrors,
All of these are bound by the mastery of your mind,
And by the taming of that one mind, all are subdued,
Because from the mind are derived all fears and immeasurable sorrows."
- Shantideva

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive