Coburg Fun Run 12km - Race Report

After blasting out some of the carbon last week, I decided hit the racing circuit again this week. The Coburg Harriers were having one of their monthly fun runs. Today is cwas their usual 6 and 12km event. Choosing the 12km I decided to pace things better than last week. I was hoping to make the most of what fitness I do have. I did wonder how close I would get to last August's 46:28 over the same course.

Out

In the expect low-key style of Coburg club the race was under way. Fighting the urge to jump in with the lead few runners I managed to hold back a bit. Later it was revealed to be a very good idea. Most of those shooting off at the start were in the 6km. Another bonus was it only took a couple of kilometres for the fast start to takes its toll on the others. Into the 3km turnaround I knew I was now at least in the top 6. Maybe better placed.

Tracking

The first was completed with a shot around the athletics track. Those ahead in the 6km were enjoying the finish. In 12km we had more fun in store.

What had seemed like a reasonable conservative pace over the first half wasn't feeling that way any more. It still felt sustainable, but I was very relieved I hadn't gone any harder. The loop around the track gave everyone a good look at their competitors. Surprisingly I was up in 3rd place, but 4th was making a concerted effort to change that. Back out on the trail towards the turnaround I stuck with what I had. No point pushing harder yet. That would be a guaranteed blow up.

Running Scared

Back to the far turnaround it was clear that 2nd place was safe from me. My speed had dropped a little, but my effort was increasing. 4th place had closed the gap to me and he was looking comfortable. I was hunted, and knew I was likely to be caught.

No pain, no gain... I pushed it some more, making the most of the small downhill undulations to pick up some leg speed. Now I knew I was racing. The burn flooded my legs and kept increasing. This is exactly where I was caught, at approximately the 10km mark, 2km left.

There was no point trying to break away. I was at my limit, and a serious risk of a drastic slow down. My opponent seemed to notice this fact and put in a surge that I couldn't answer. He steadily pulled away for a clear 200m gap by the finish line. My legs blew, yet I didn't slow too much. Nothing to be embarrassed over.

Result

Crossing the line in 4th overall, with a time of 46:53 I was happy. That was probably the best time I could have achieved on my current fitness. Plus this week really did feel like a race, and not just a stupidly hard run. The basic tune up is complete. Now I can really get to work.

Comments

  1. Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The videos are a good addition Jason. Glad you raced well. Funny how 12k tests the endurance much more than 10.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive