Mullum Mullum

It took three good days of very easy running to get my legs back. Not racing for a while certainly shows. Finally having the concrete boots removed I was ready for a long run. This time I was over my usual trails, so I headed out into lesser chartered territory.
Starting in Eltham the first section I have covered way more time than I could imagine. So to mix things up a bit I took all the alternative paths I could find. Making for more a cross country start than usual. The numbers on the trail were more than usual. Perfect weather tends to bring out the masses.
Falling into the zone almost straight away I knew I was in for a good day. The first few kilometres flew by and before I knew it, I was heading out of my usual stomping ground. Out past the orchards and through the gateway into the Mullum Mullum. Beautiful scenery is the mark along almost the whole run. There is just one exception, which strongly identifies the border from my common area to further out.
Unfortunately it a series of ugly high voltage power pylons. The trail doesn't just run past these. Instead, it takes a turn and runs between them for a bit. The sight is a blight on the landscape, and constant buzzing and crackling sound did interrupt the serenity. Minutes later I was on the other side with the electricity left behind.
On this run I noticed something else change once on the Mullum Mullum creek trail. Except for one person, nobody said "hello." I am very used to a smile, nod, small wave of hand or finger, or even real words from the majority of people out and about. Not so on this side. Everyone deliberately averted their eyes so they didn't have to acknowledge me. I even tested the theory by clearly saying "hi," and got the same response. It was strange to the point I checked to see if was wearing my running shorts. I was.
Returning back to my zone I stopped thinking about it. Absorbed in my running I still automatically gave a nod or smile of greeting to those I passed. On the way back I was suddenly surprised when I was greeted with a cheery "Good morning." Funny thing was I was now just a few metres back on my side of power pylons.


Popular posts from this blog

New Blog: Running Alive

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

This Is Forty