Listen To The Legs

It's only two weeks since my 100km race, but it feels like a year ago. In that time I wouldn't say I've done any training. I've exercised as I've felt like, but only to a level that has me feeling good. In there have been a bit of weight training, a swim and four very easy runs.



The body and mind feel even better than rested. I'm ready to start what I consider training. Trying to take on lessons of the past, I'll endeavour to base the training on how I respond. It is easy to quickly feel awesome and ramp up the training in a short time after a big race. I have done this multiple times previously and the result is a false start followed by a substantial slump and extended down time. I want to avoid that this time.

So I need to be alert to how I am truly absorbing the training. How quickly does fatigue accumulate? Does a low grade, but deep pain persist into the next run? Does the connective tissue tighten? Do imbalances increase during a run? Do I find myself speeding up in runs to counter early fatigue? Even if all this exists, overall it is possible to feel good, even near invincible, in training.

Now isn't the time to be pushing the envelope hard. There will be plenty of residual fitness left. It doesn't take much to maintain it. Technique and associated conditioning that allows better skill development is the primary training goal. If I get this early stage right, hopefully I can set myself up for some big gains.

Comments

  1. Wise...I have experienced this "better than rested" feeling post major event. I have done it both ways. I have found it easy to believe that the ability to feel fairly good first run back, is sign of special fitness somehow bestowed upon me. However, later in the training the smoke and mirrors go away and I am left with an overworked, fatigued body, that takes longer to heal now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us have to learn to the hard way I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive