Street O: Gardiners Bend

Wednesday night I was finally back for some street orienteering. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to commit to a weekly event due to shift work, but I plan on getting to as many as I can.

It is run as a score event, which means that each control is worth a certain number of points, and you have to collect as many points as possible. I raced the A course, which means you have 60 minutes to collect as many points as possible. There are a total of 20 controls split to being worth 2, 3, 4 or 5 points. If you are quick, and good enough at your navigation, you may be able to collect all twenty.

This wasn't the case for me. I've definitely lost some of my ability to think while running. In the end I missed control number 9, worth 3 points. This put me in 8th place. The seven ahead of me managed to gather all 20. Though not too bad for my first race back in a while. With a bit of hindsight, a couple of smarter navigational decisions would have allowed me to collect that last control.

Known as the Iceberg series, the Wednesday nighters over winter look like they'll live up to their name. Running around in the dark through unfamiliar streets. Just plain fun. Checking out the current leader board, it looks like I'll have my work cut out for me if I am to finish in the top 3 for the season. Of course, there's nothing like a high goal to get me working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive