Crack And It's All Good

I got stuck into some self massage on my calves and feet, after loosening up the muscles and fascia I headed into some cross-fibre action. This is usually a killer when someone else performs it, but there is only so much pain you can inflict onto yourself, but it was still effective. I performed a before and after dorsi-flexion reach test. Before I had 3cm, after was 6cm. A good improvement, but still well down on the 12cm I should have.

Massage done. Now onto joint manipulation. It's amazing how much movement you can have between all the different bones in your feet. Ten minutes in I was just about to call it quits when... crack! Loud and slightly painful my foot suddenly loosened significantly. All of a sudden I had nearly twice as much movement around my big toe. Not what I expected but I assumed it can only be good.

Waking up the next morning, I found I no longer had any pain in my foot. No pain on dorsi-flexion like the other day. No tenderness, and I still had my increased range of motion. Maybe I can still sneak in my long run for the week.

That's exactly what I did. I headed out at a much slower pace than usual, ignoring heart rate. I averaged just under 6min/km over a 28km run, instead of around 5:15/km, but no sense in pushing the envelope too much. The result? Only a mild niggle over the last 5km, that has now eased today. The range of motion has decreased again, but I should be able to work this out. Looks like the joint cracking has done me wonders.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward." - Helen Keller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive