15 x 6 Day Cycle
Six session cycle made of Crossfit style foci, Parkour and Specific work.
- Specific work will generally be geared towards upcoming races.
- Hours of training are to be averaged out over 7 days
- 6 hrs training if work > 50hrs/week
- 8 hrs training if work 38-50hrs/week
- 10 hrs training if work <38hrs/week
- Any training deficit of > 1 hour is be made up within the next 4 days
- The next 7 day count will begin 1 day late per every full hour in deficit
- For races the 2 days lead up should be easy, regenerative work or fundamental skills
- Following a race take 1-3 days recovery as required
- The structure will always continue as above, but recovery days or different training exercises can be used at anytime as opportunities or needs arise. The cycle will then pickup again the next day.
The main focus of each day's training will follow the template as above. This does not mean that I cannot incorporate different elements into the same day, it really is just a guide as to what the main part of the day's training is to be.
M - monostructural metabolic conditioning
Basically this will involve a single mode of exercise such as swimming, cycling or running. The exact mode will be decided based on previous training, recovery status, predicted future training and current weaknesses. Typically it will be different to the mode selected in Specific training. The structure and length of the training session will be highly variable. It could be, but is not limited to the following:
- steady-state session
- VO2max intervals
- lactate tolerance intervals
G - gymnastics, bodyweight exercises
This includes the vast array of exercises that involve manipulating one's own body. This includes exercises such as, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, rope climbs, jumping, balancing, core strengthening. Of particular interest to me are handstands, planches and front level work. These are exercises that are more than just hard for me at this stage, they currently feel almost impossible. There are extensive ranges of progressions for these exercise that should have me working hard for at least a couple of years.
W - weightlifting, powerlifting, olympic lifts
The basis of this category are functional strength and power movements including:
- Squats (various types)
- Presses (standard, push, jerk)
These are compound exercises. They have an effect over the whole body. I have now moved away from the so-called "bodybuilding" style of weight training that involves isolation of individual muscles or exercises of limited use (other than cosmetics) such as lateral raises, leg extensions or bicep curls.
PK - parkour, méthode naturelle
Here I head outside in search of different courses and obstacles, developing my ability to jump, vault, climb, land, run, roll and any other method I can come up with to work my through the environment.
Specific - race/sport specific work
My upcoming races will determine what I do. Here I will work hard on whatever is needed for the next few faces. If the next races are run then I will run. If they are duathlons then I will ride and run. It is almost that simple. If a certain attribute needed for one of the next races is lacking, then I should focus on that.