Next Round

With a week of not much running post 49km of the Surfcoast Century I feel somewhat rested and ready to start my next training plan. There are still a few concerns following on from the hamstring, but it's at a level that can be dealt with as part of training. The next phase will focus on the basics and what I know works for me.

What works?

First up is having enough time to build up. I am targeting the Two Bays Trail 56km in January which gives me a bit more than 3 months to prepare. Next on the list is a gradual progression with in built recovery. Finally is to focus on the blue collar training.

The result is the following weekly template. Importantly my week is usually a 9 day affair, but every now and then may be 7 or 8 days, usually depending on my work roster.

  1. Easy 60min
  2. Easy 40-50min + hill sprints
  3. Threshold run 10-26km
  4. Easy 60min  +  Weights (basic)
  5. Easy 40-50min + hill sprints
  6. Long 3:00-5:00
  7. Regeneration
  8. Regeneration
  9. Hill reps   +  Weights (extended)
The order of the above may vary depending on how I can fit in everything, but the main sessions will always be there. I use the term threshold to indicate a steady-state run that should improve my pace and stamina around my anaerobic threshold. The pacing I use will be based on feel and most people tend to refer to these runs a tempo. Progression will be adding 2km each cycle if I feel I ready to extend the distance.

Sharing Plenty Gorge with the kangaroos

Hill reps will usually be up a 10-12% incline that take about 2 minutes to complete. I'll start at 4 repetitions and hopefully add one each week. The intensity will definitely be above my anaerobic threshold, but will be also guided by maintaining good biomechanics. Recovery is a relaxed, but hopefully quick-ish decent back down the slope.

As crux of the week, the long run is the feature. Starting at 3 hours, and progressing by adding 10 minutes each week. The pace is again based on feel, that includes focusing on good quality run technique and feel for the movement. I've targeted set speeds and intensity in long runs previously, but there is a trap in developing artificial or forced speed that only gets you so far. By getting back to the relaxed running where speed and agility eventually develops from I will get more out of training and hopefully set myself up for better racing.

Hill sprints are short, less than 10 seconds. I'll only perform 4-6 at a time. If nothing else they make my legs feel better the next day and when performed consistently seem to make running just feel easier. There is plenty of science that can be spouted on hill sprints, but my previous point is enough for me.

The easy runs are what you would think they are. For the regeneration, the focus is on absorbing all the training and ensuring I deal with any potential injury issues. These days may just be easy runs, a swim or anything else that allows me to improve. Hopefully having one or two days like this out of every nine days is enough and prevent the need for the more traditional easy week. Of course, I'll see how I respond to the training and make adjustments as needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive