Rehab Out Of Winter

Some good timing for the family holiday. With Winter highlighting its arrival with some very cold mornings it was time to head to a warmer climate. This part was purposefully planned. The timing had nothing to do with fitting into my ankle rehab plans. Yet this part also fitted in quite nicely.

Relaxation, pools, beach, sun, heat, drink, food and no work drew us out to Khao Lak, Thailand. Amongst the usual holiday stuff I continued the progression in my ankle. On holidays I usually enjoy getting up early and exploring the area with some morning runs. Obviously this wasnt happening this time. No problem and surprisingly to me, not too disappointing.

So far the mornings involve an early rise without an alarm. Down to the beach for some breathing exercises, meditation and yoga plus some exercises for my ankle with some walking. Then into the resort's gym for strength training. There's a good amount of walking interspersed throughout the days that there's no need for a dedicated rehab walk.

Now five weeks after injury I was hopeful I would be ready for my first run. I got in 2 x 1 hour walks one day followed by my tests of calf raises and hops the next morning. Everything felt better than expected. Over breakfast I was getting excited about testing out a bit of running the next day. As the day progressed so did some pain in my ATF ligament. Not particularly bad, but enough to let me know running needs to be put off still.

The good news is each day the pain levels are less with the combination of rehab tests and exercises. It's all heading in the right direction. Just not as fast as I'd like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report: Sandy Point Half Marathon

Surfcoast Century - Race Report

New Blog: Running Alive