Well I did it. My first 100km trail ultra is done and dusted. In short, it was an amazing experience. This is how it unfolded. I stayed down with my wife, kids and sister in a nice house a short distance from the race. A pretty chilled evening, some simple pasta and disappointing loss in the AFL prelim. In the middle was race registration and briefing. Signing in had me feeling nervous for the first time, but I soon relaxed after catching up with a few people. Though it played on my mind I couldn't check and recheck my drop bags after I handed them over, even though I'd already checked them at least ten times. The sleep was a little disturbed, but that's no problem. I'd slept well during the rest of the week. Up early, liquid breakfast, coffee and a selection of stretches and movements had me feeling loose and ready. Soon enough I got my way down to the start. The weather was brilliant. Bright blue skies, plenty of sun and a light cool breeze. I couldn't ask fo...
This race has been on my radar for the last few years. With a prompt from some friends after the Surfcoast, I finally entered. Chose the 28km option, instead of the 56km. This allowed me to join in the Out Of Our Minds team. Plus, I would get more out of the 28km based on where my training is at than the longer option. The event is a bit of a stand out. It crosses some amazing landscape. Hits a few iconic locations. Has a mixture of surfaces, some great hills mixed with perfectly flowing single track. Running from one bay over to another is just cool. The point to point aspect adds in an element of extra logistics, but it is more than worth it. Race start was 0700, and being a good distance from home meant I had to be efficient with time. Alarm at 0400. Coffee and liquid breakfast consumed during the drive down to the finish line (yes, the finish line). Once there a quick use of the uncrowded amenities, followed by an easy 15 minute run to loosen up. Then I met the rest of the...
Surprisingly there were no moments of stress or doubt over the final pre-race hours. Maybe being at work for the two days lead up provided enough of a distraction. Maybe getting out of bed at 04:30 meant I hadn't really woken up until race start. My brain wasn't fully functioning in the morning. I'd left my sunglasses at work the day before, so picked them up on the way to race. Then thought I left them in the car once at the MCG, and was without them for the marathon. Which was fine, except they were in the bag I was carrying and could have had them for the run. At least I didn't notice the lack of sunglasses during the race. The warm up felt good. It started with some slight heaviness in the legs, that soon gave way to a light, springy run. Even standing at the start line, I was relaxed and keen to get on with things. Rob De Castella's speech was perfect. No pretending the day was going to be easy. Entertainment The race started. I now have no idea if we had a co...
Congrats, mate!
ReplyDeleteCongrats Jason (and giggles),
ReplyDeleteJust Having my son's 1st birthday yesterday made me realise how much my life has changed in the past year.
And I wouldn't swap it for the world!
Awesome news.
Cheers!
Thanks guys. I know I don't really have a true idea what I'm in for, but I'm looking forward to the change.
ReplyDelete